Welcome to the Austin Genealogical Society
Because there’s always more to learn about Family History.
- DNA North is having a virtual meeting Wednesday April 1. Sign on instructions have been sent to members and friends. If you’d like to log-in to this group and are not on those lists, email email@example.com.
- DNA South and the Third Saturday Drop-in are on hiatus in April to avoid spreading the coronavirus.
- April Membership Meeting, scheduled for April 28th, has been cancelled for this month.
MARK THE DATE FOR OUR SUMMER SEMINAR JUNE 26 AND 27.
REGISTRATION OPENS IN MID-APRIL. Early registration gets a discount.
Diahan’s new book, Your DNA Guide, has just been released and is available on her website. It was launched at RootsTech, where her good friend Blaine Bettinger gave it a thumbs-up review. You can get it here.
We’re glad that you’re here for a visit!
The Austin Genealogical Society will give you the tools you need to become a better genealogist.
Here’s how we do it:
- SIGs: AGS has several special interest groups (SIGs) that you can visit, and we launch new ones as our members require them. Right now, learning to use DNA test results to support genealogy (genetic genealogy) is a leading subject for our members. We have two DNA SIGs: our North DNA SIG is generally for intermediate users, and our South DNA SIG is oriented to beginners. Both are open and free.
- Saturday Morning Drop-In: The third Saturday of each month we have an experienced genealogist on hand to assist in solving genealogical issues ranging from setting up a family tree to breaking through brick walls. Members also come to work collegially. No charge.
- Monthly Meetings: At our monthly member meeting, we bring in (or tap our membership for) an expert who showcases genealogical research methods and new technology. All presentations are designed to help our members become better genealogists. Meetings are free.
- Research Trips: Further your research with us as we visit genealogy libraries and archives across the US. Our fall trip in October was to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City!
- Our Summer Seminar: Early in the summer, we bring in a known expert for a day or day-and-a-half seminar. In 2020, our expert is Diahan Southard, renowned DNA expert and creator of Your DNA Guide.
- Visitors are Welcome: Like the SIGs and classes, visitors are always welcome at our monthly meetings. After a visit, we’re sure you’ll want to join us. So please come, and bring a friend!