Welcome to the Austin Genealogical Society
Because there’s always more to learn about Family History.
Our renowned speaker from London, on a new AGS date
We’re excited and fortunate to bring Jonny Perl — founder of renowned DNA Painter — to AGS from London via Zoom at 1 p.m, Saturday Oct. 17.
His website, DNAPainter.com, won the grand prize in DNA Innovation at Rootstech 2018 in Salt Lake City, and has become an essential tool for genealogists working with DNA. DNA Painter has gained widespread use as an easy tool to make sense of DNA testing.
Perl developed his methodology after testing his own DNA in 2017, and searching for a way to visually organize his DNA results and link them to what he knew about his family tree. By mapping segments of DNA to chromosomes, DNA Painter begins to show us which ancestors gave us which pieces of DNA, and how new matches are related.
He is clearly on the forefront of the rapidly expanding science of finding ancestors through connecting genealogy and genetics. Thank you to Pat Murphree for reaching out to him. His presentation will be suitable to genealogists with limited DNA experience and those who are already more deeply involved.
This member meeting is scheduled for a weekend because of the time differential between Austin and London. It replaces our regularly scheduled fourth Tuesday member meeting. Emails for reservations will go out Oct. 11.
We anticipate that our sessions through the summer will be virtual, and that we’ll be emailing notifications and Zoom sign-ons. That could change. You can find notifications of DNA North at their Facebook page, Capital Area DNA SIG.
Other get-togethers are currently on hiatus. Stay safe and do genealogy.
For a link to meetings, please contact email@example.com
We’re glad that you dropped in.
The Austin Genealogical Society is here to give you the tools you need to become a better genealogist.
Here’s how we do it:
• SIGs: AGS has several special interest groups (SIGs) that you can visit, and we launch new ones as our members want them. Right now, learning to use DNA test results in genealogy (genetic genealogy) is a leading subject for our members. Our North DNA SIG is generally for intermediate users. Open and free. See Capital Cities DNA Facebook page for details.
• Saturday Morning Drop-In: The third Saturday of each month we have experienced genealogists on hand to assist in solving genealogical issues ranging from setting up a family tree to breaking through brick walls. Members also come to work collegially. No charge. (on hiatus)
• Monthly Membership Meetings: At our monthly member meeting, we bring in (or tap our membership for) an expert who showcases genealogical research methods and new technology. All presentations are designed to help our members become better genealogists. Meetings are free. (meeting virtually)
• Research Trips: Further your research by visiting genealogy libraries and archives across the US. Our fall trip in October was to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
• Our Summer Seminar: Early in the summer, we bring in a known expert for a day or day-and-a-half seminar. In 2020, our scheduled expert was Diahan Southard, renowned DNA expert and creator of Your DNA Guide. We hope to reschedule this as soon as open meetings are possible.
Visitors are always welcome at any of our meetings. After a visit, we’re sure you’ll want to join us. So please come, and bring a friend! Our mailing address: 3616 Far West Blvd., Suite 117-247, Austin, TX 78731-3082